Things To Do In Perth Gaol
Built between 1851 and 1855, Perth Gaol remained in service as a maximum security facility until the 1991s. More than ten thousand convicts have been incarcerated here. These include enemy aliens, hardened criminals, colonial prisoners and prisoners of war. The jail grounds and floors have seen forty four hangings, innumerable floggings, a number of escapes and multiple rioting episodes.
Why visit the Perth Gaol?
Whether you are a local resident, intestate or an international visitor, a guided tour to this no longer operating goal will surely make your day. Apart from being declared a world heritage site, Perth Gaol is a piece of living history by itself. The prison is situated in the heart of the bustling Fremantle town in Perth city and is the only lasting monument to a city that was. Here are some things to do when touring this yonder time jail in situated in Perth city.
Take a guided tour around the historical facility
Step inside the facility walls and you are instantly taken back in time to experience both the bad and good of Western Australian’s history. While here, you will see small cells that used to accommodate several people round the clock. You will see historical painting from people who lived here day after day in the yonder years. The stunning art is painted straight in the walls, something that truly shows that they could truly tell an amazing story to all that come to visit. Observe the amazing and inspiring convict made architecture. Discover the intriguing history of the prisoners that the gaol once housed.
All in all, the Perth Gaol offers a number of tours, each exciting and unique in its own way. The offered tours include:
- Great escapes tours
- Doing time tour
- Torchlight tour
- Tunnels tour
- Gaol prison art tour
Entry to the visitor’s centre, convict cafe, gift shop and prison gallery is all free. However, the guided tour inside the facility is paid.
As you walk through the rooms that were once housed the prisoners, you will get a of the hardships they encountered in a day to day basis while here.
Perth gaol tour conditions
- Visitors to this prison should note that the surfaces are not always even and thus should watch their steps
- The facility management does not accept liabilities for property loss while here or damage or injuries that can occur whilst on the premises
- The prison authorities reserve the right to alter, curtail or close any tour, event, exhibit or even an event at a moment notice
- If event that a tour is cancelled, ticket exchanges or refunds are at the sole discretion of the Goal authorities
- Ticket holders must retain their tickets till the visit is over or done
- Tickets are non-transferable and non-refundable
There are a lot more activities you can take part in addition to the above, including indulging in extensive tours around the surrounding area. For getting to Perth Gaol, you should consider a minibus hire for group travel. We can arrange transport for groups of any size to Perth Gaol, please call or send us an email for more information.
- Where To Shop In Melbourne For Top Fashion Brands - March 25, 2021
- Don’t Miss Out On The Yatala Drive In Theatre in Brisbane! - March 25, 2021
- 6 Australian Extreme Activities You Shouldn’t Miss Out On - March 2, 2021